Present Tense of to Go
Here comes a short lesson with the verb IĆI = TO GO to in the Simple Present tense. The conjugations are as follows:
- Ja idem - ti ideš - on/ona/ono ide ///// mi idemo - vi idete - oni / one / ona idu
Common Serbian Phrases with this Verb
How can you use the verb IĆI to create the most common phrases:
- Gde ideš? = Where are you going?
- Kada ideš u školu? = When are you going to school?
- Gde ideš u kupovinu/prodavnicu? = Where are you going shopping?
- Zašto ideš na posao tako kasno? = Why are you going to work so late?
- Gde ideš na odmor svake godine? = Where do you go on holiday every year?
- Kad idete na odmor? = When are you going on holiday?
- Ko ide u školu? = Who is going to school?
- Ko ide sa mnom? = Who is going with me?
- Ko ide ka Beogradu? = Who is going to (towards) Belgrade?
- Kada ideš u Beograd sa mamom? = When are you going to Belgrade with me?
As you can see, this is a tricky verb, because it can be followed by nouns in different cases. The most common are:
1. Accusative with the preposition "u / na" = in or to, as in GO TO
a. Idem na posao.
b. Idemo u školu u 8 ujutro.
c. Idemo na odmor u avgustu.
d. Svake godine idem na odmor u Grčku.
e. Sutra idem u Beograd sa tobom.
f. Idem ( u Beograd) sa mamom u petak.
g. Deca idu u školu.
2. Instrumental with the preposition "sa" =with, as in GO with a friend
h. Baka ide sa mnom.
i. Idem ( u Beograd) sa mamom u petak.
j. Zato što idem biciklom.
3. Less frequently it will be followed by the Dative, with the preposition "ka / prema" = towards, as in GO TOWARDS.
k. Mi idemo ka Beogradu. Možete li da nas povedete?
Try to match the questions 1 to 10 with the answers a to k. and record them with www.Vocaroo.com. You can send them to me and get your replies via Patreon.